January 3, 2011

Lovelies from Spain

1spain

I’ve been slacking on my blogging duties lately, partly because it’s Science Fair time at work and it’s sucking the life out of me, but mostly because my love and I spent the winter break in Spain and Portugal.

I’ll share some of the unique beauty of Portugal in a later post, but for now here is some of the handmade goodness (mostly food) from Spain.

Anywhere I go, I find myself drawn to the expansive public markets. I could spend hours (possibly days) wandering through the mounds of produce, fresh baked bread, meat and seafood. Spain did not disappoint.

4spain

8spain

I loved listening to the old ladies haggle in Spanish and Catalan.

7spain

Ham was everywhere, cut right off the leg.

3spain

Nothing goes to waste.

9spain

10spain

Whole chickens, some with the feathers still on, and every imaginable kind of seafood.

6spain

12spain

5spain

16spain

Spain had little to offer in the way of crafts (at least where I was). There were these odd Santa logs in Barcelona called Caga Tiós.

14spain

Apparently the children “take care of him in the days leading up to Christmas and then on Christmas day they beat him with a stick and then burn him while singing songs begging him to sh** out some presents”. I thought maybe I had grossly mistranslated this but then a guy at the Christmas Market pointed out all of the pooing wise men in the nativity scenes, shrugged and said, “It’s just Barcelona.”  Hmm…moving on.

Spain was full of beautiful tile work, kissed by all of the cultures that have ruled there – Romans, Moors, Spaniards.

19spain

21spain

It’s a good thing we were walking non-stop because the food was calorie-laden.

13spain

17spain18spain

It was a wonderful whirlwind of a trip. Look for a few Spain-inspired projects coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment