February 23, 2011

A Bit of Spring: Flowers from Paper Cups

paper_flowers13

I’ve been sick all week with a sinus infection. But this morning when I woke up my fever had broken and the sun was shining (a rarity in Oregon this time of year). I dug myself out of my pile of blankets and dirty tissues and made some cheerful flowers.

paper_flowers14

I had some paper cups in bright pink, red and orange.

paper_cups2

paper_flowers1

First, I cut each cup from the opening to the base in 1/2” intervals.

paper_flowers3

paper_flowers4

Then I cut the rolled edges off of each strip.

paper_flours5

Next, I punched a hole in the end of each strip.

paper_flowers6

Once all of the “flowers” were prepared, I made the centers out of yellow cardstock. I folded a 1 1/2” strip of cardstock in half length-wise and cut tiny strips, starting on the fold and cutting towards the open side. Then I cut the cardstock into 1” sections and rolled them into a tube. I secured each tube with a little dab of glue.

paper_flowers10

To assemble the flowers, I poked a hole in the bottom of the cup and slid a straw through, securing it with a little hot glue.

paper_flowers7

Then I threaded each petal onto the straw and stuck them down with a dot of glue.

paper_flower8

I slid the cardstock tube over the straw, glued it down and spread out the little strips.

paper_flowers9

paper_flowers11

Aren’t they cheerful?

paper_flowers12

No comments:

Post a Comment