July 14, 2011

Serger Cover

serger_cover_2

My mom got me a serger for Christmas last year and, so far, it’s been amazing. However, it didn’t come with any kind of cover and I noticed today that it was looking pretty dusty. So I made a cover for it out of two placemats and two cloth napkins that I found on clearance at Target.

serger_cover_5

serger_cover_6

Unlike my regular sewing machine that is a nice uniform rectangle, my serger has all sorts of wonky corners and whatnot jutting out of it. I wanted the cover to be as streamlined as possible so I opted for a rectangular front and back and trapezoids for the sides.

I also created an opening in the top for the handle since I’m constantly moving it to make way for other projects.

serger_cover_1

serger_cover_4

6 comments:

  1. Adorable! I've been thinking about making a cover for my sewing machine. It has a plastic one but it's so obtrusive I never use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a tablecloth in the "side" parttern. Are the front and back the napkins?

    I love the pattern and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    I also have that tablecloth! The front and back are placemats that were part of the same pattern. I used placemats because they are sturdier and gave the cover more shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!
    Let's see....my serger is probably about 20 years old. Time to make it a cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cover is awesome! I just got a serger at the thrift store and it needs a cover.

    ReplyDelete