July 20, 2010

Chalkboard Screen

chalkboard screen

I call this the Compromise Screen.  Compromise 1: If I get to use the bonus room as my office/craft room all of the cat stuff gets stored in there as well because, really, there isn’t any other place to put it.  Compromise 2: I was watching Color Spash (I’m willing to move to San Francisco just for the tiny chance that David might choose our house for a makeover) and they painted all of the kitchen cabinets with chalkboard paint.  It was so inspiring that I thought we should paint one of the small walls in our kitchen with chalkboard paint.  However, my boyfriend said, “No way!".  Instead he suggested that I paint the awful, half-finished screen in my office with chalkboard paint.  Good idea, Honey. 

Originally, the screen was to hide the aforementioned cat stuff. I was going to paint the screen red and paint flowers on it to match a pillow that I love.  Except, once I got started I remembered that I can’t paint.  So it sat in this state for a year or so:

DSC05978

Then I bought two cans of this:

DSC06008

I sanded off the flowers , roughed the paint up a bit and then applied a coat of primer followed by two coats of chalkboard paint.  Once it was dry, I attached the boards (which are MDF, by the way) with 2” hinges. 

Although I really love the idea of chalkboard paint, I did not love using this spray paint.  It dripped all over and by the end of the project I had paint running down my arms.  It’s very possible it was operator error but if I use chalkboard paint again, I will apply it with a roller or brush. 

No comments:

Post a Comment