October 11, 2010

Vintage Needle Books, Sterling Seam Gauge and Czech Buttons

sewingbox3

A sewing box has been sitting on the dresser in our spare bedroom for a couple of years now.  It belonged to my boyfriend’s grandma.  In an attempt to procrastinate folding the laundry piled on the spare bedroom bed, I decided to have a look.  I wasn't disappointed. 

sewingbox7

Not only did I put off my chores for an extra hour, but I found sewing lovelies from all across multiple continents and decades.  I thought I would share a few of them with you .

sewingbox1

There was a couple of needle books from the 1950's.  This one still has all of the needles and the threader. 

sewingbox6

I love the details in these needle books.  Each section is backed with colorful foil embossed with spider webs.  Yes, spider webs.  Behind the foil, the card is printed with an intricate white and blue design.  They are so, well, classy.  Especially compared to the needles I just bought that are wrapped in an impossible-to-open blister pack and prick my fingers every time I try to remove a needle.

There was also a sterling silver seam gauge and

sewingbox9

metal, hand painted buttons from Czechoslovakia.  You know, from back when there was a Czechoslovakia.

sewingbox8

I love the history behind each of these items and I can't wait to incorporate them into a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment