June 20, 2011

Veggie Pizza with Sea Salt and Olive Oil Crust

pizza_7

I make homemade pizza at least once a week, usually a regular version and a gluten free version. Accommodating dietary restrictions can be a pain in the keister but it means I can have whatever toppings I want on my pizza. This means a pile of veggies and just a bit of mozzarella.

pizza_8

I don’t use a recipe for the crust but if you’re looking for one there are good ones here and here. If I’m being totally honest, I never use recipes for anything except for sometimes as a reference when I’m baking. I don’t like using patterns when I sew. I don’t like using lesson plans when I teach. I’m more of a wing it kind of girl. Sometimes this is good and sometimes it’s a dismal failure.

pizza_1

Anyway, what I will say about making pizza is it takes a bit of practice but it’s really pretty easy. I start with about a cup and a half of warm water, stir in a package of yeast and a bit of sugar and let it get all foamy. Then I work in a pinch of salt, a big glug of olive oil and enough flour to make a moist but not sticky dough. I knead it until it’s stretchy and smooth, about 2 minutes and then coat it with olive oil and let it hang out in a warm place for awhile until it remains indented when I poke it, about 15 minutes.

pizza_2

Then I roll it out on a hot pizza stone and top it with whatever veggies I have in the fridge.

pizza_4

Ok, so this is the super secret best part. Once the crust is topped, roll the edges of the crust over and pinch it a little so it stays crimped. Drizzle olive oil over the edge of the crust and then sprinkle with coarse, flaky sea salt.

pizza_5

pizza_6

The oil and salt make the crust extra crispy with little bits of salty crunch. It’s so good. I’ve been know to pull off just the crust and leave the rest.

pizza_9

No comments:

Post a Comment