April 12, 2011

Pendant Necklace from Earrings

a6

I can never find the exact piece of jewelry I have in mind so more often than not I end up making something. However, in all of the craziness getting ready for my mom’s wedding there just wasn’t time. So, I bought a pair of earrings and a necklace that I liked and spliced them together.

a1

Have a I mentioned how much I despise the mall? Don’t get me wrong, I love my students. But spending 40+ hours a week with middleschoolers is all I can take. I don’t want to hang out with them on the weekends. Sometimes, though, it’s unavoidable. My iPhone freaked out on the way out of town to the wedding and the nearest Genius Bar was smack dab in the middle of the mall. Since I was looking at a two hour wait, I decided to leave the somewhat creepy cocoon of the Apple store and venture out. I went into Forever 21 (the accessory one, not the clothing one) and came out with a bag full of cheap jewelry including a pair of silver filigree earrings and a beaded necklace.

a2

To combine them, first I decided how long I wanted the finished necklace to be and removed the unneeded beads. I took a chunk right out of the middle of the necklace, leaving the clasp intact.

a3

Then I took apart one of the earrings so that I had two medallions. I attached one medallion to each side of the necklace and then connected them with a leftover bead and jump rings.

a4

a5

I took two of the leftover beads and attached them to the earring hardware and used the remaining beads for a bracelet. For less than $5 and 10 minutes I got a necklace, earrings and a bracelet. Not worth braving the mall, but still a pretty good deal.

a7

No comments:

Post a Comment